Thursday 7 January 2010

Killers Flashback - Birmingham LG Arena 27th February 2009



I joined 'Victims' so that I could get presale tickets for the killers, but I was at work and they sold out before I could get any. I was upset, but not gutted, as there was still the general sale. Little did I know that this was to be a chaotic nightmare for my partner and dad, who were getting the tickets. They tried on the phones and online for 2 hours solid, and as tickets steadily sold out for Manchester and Sheffield, they tried Cardiff, then anywhere in the UK without luck. Now I was gutted.

Luckily a few days later, I managed to get 'Lounge Package' tickets for Birmingham Arena. They cost more, but had a few perks. I was so happy. I was going to see the killers. All I had to do was travel 100 miles...

Having done a dummy run, the journey was pretty smooth and the weather stayed fine (for Feb.)
Walking through the tunnel, the excitement was building. I hadn't watched any youtube footage of any gigs, but I just knew it was going to be spectacular. In the lounge bar upstairs they were playing the killers, which was a bit annoying as I wanted to hear the songs live, not tinnily playing from bad quality speakers.


The killers had some great merchandise, and I bought a bag, T shirt and poster.
Louis XIV were playing, but I can't really review them, as I was either in the bar, or too focused on the killers to notice. Really sorry guys.


We were in the seated area and the upper tier, but I was so lucky to get tickets I wouldn't have minded being right at the back just so long as I was there. We had a good view of the stage.

Right on time, at 9.00, everything went dark and a countdown from 10 - 1 started on the screens.The killers began to walk out, and everyone was shouting, cheering and clapping like mad things. Everyone was on their feet straight away.

We heard the opening chords to Spaceman and when the 'Oh oh oh-oh's started, people went crazy. I was pogoing with tears streaming down my cheeks. Even though I expected it to be great, they blew me away. I felt so emotional and by the end of the song I felt physically drained, but raring to go. (I always now have to listen to Spaceman with the volume right up to try and recreate that first moment of the killers live.)

The stage had 2 huge screens so we could see everything going on onstage and the backdrop was panels that looked like they had been taken straight from the Crystal video where the killers got there name. Palm trees were arranged, and the iconic killers 'k' keyboard was at the front of the stage. It looked fabulous.

The second song, This Is Your Life had the crowd doing the arm-waving which would become legendary amongst killers fans. Brandon said "It's our second night here. It seems to be going well. Let's not mess it up now."

For Reason's Unknown, which is not usually one of my favourites, was fantastic live. I really felt in awe of the spectacle, and couldn't believe how emotional I felt over a gig.

I am not sure of the exact order, but they played:
Spaceman, TIYL, FRU, Somebody Told Me, Smile Like You Mean It, Bling (Confession of a king), Sweet Talk, Neon Tiger, Human, A Dustland Fairytale, This River is Wild, Sam's Town (acoustic), Mr Brightside, All these things..., The World We Live In, Bones, Jenny... and When You Were Young.

Brandon said "Let's hear it for Louis XIV. They're great gentlemen...well a great bunch of guys."
The higher and higher part in Bling was brilliant. They said they enjoy playing Sweet Talk live and it was lovely to hear it. At the start of Neon Tiger, the tiger print curtain dropped. Human had the same graphics of beating hearts and ECG lines as they had at the EMAs. For Sam's Town, Brandon sat at his piano, and a sign with the same name lit up when he played the twinkly bit. Seeing Mr B live was something I had wanted to see for a long time. It more than lived up to expectations. I remember thinking that I didn't have to worry about anything, I could achieve anything I wanted to. It was an amazing feeling.
After Mr B was ATTTID and it was a song that I never felt that close to it before, but hearing it live was special and I felt part of something. Everyone was chanting in time. There was a confetti cannon and as the confetti drifted down and the guys walked offstage I stood there completely blown away.

When they came back on for the encore, it was to TWWLI, which is one of my favourites from Day and Age. It was beautiful live.
Next was Bones, and as it launched into the 'Come with me' intro, I was aware of just how many fantastic songs they have. "Jenny was a friend of mine." said Brandon before launching into a kick ass version.
"This is a song..." Brandon started, then fell over and lay on the floor, laughing. "This is a song to write home to your Mom about." The band then launched into WYWY which was absolutely mind blowing. After the middle part, Brandon screamed, "Birmingham, come on!!!" and sparks fell. We all went for it.


They left the stage much too soon, it seemed. The lights came up and I felt absolutely in shock. I made my way upstairs and outside. I can't really describe how I felt. It's not a way I ever expected to feel after a gig. I know that experiences like that are what is important in life. I felt so optimistic and so lucky to have experienced that. The killers are fantastic on CD, but you don't really find out what they are capable of until you see them live. They are such brilliant musicians, and Brandon is the most commanding and confident showman I have ever seen. If you get the chance, you need to see this band. It will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment