Tuesday 10 November 2009

If I could sum the DVD up in one word? Triumphant.


So. The DVD is out. After a mad day, I managed to watch it last night. It is fabulous to say the least.
The way it has been put together is great. On the menu screen, it has a shot of the RAH and the music sounds as if the gig is going on, and you are outside missing it. That said it all for me. I feel so lucky to have actually been there. It is such a special moment for the guys, and to have been part of that is something I will always treasure.

As the camera rolls into the building, down the corridors and into the hall itself, you can hear the strains of Enterlude, with a slightly apprehensive Brandon hoping we enjoy our stay. He needn't have worried (as usual). What comes across in this DVD is the raw energy and enthusiasm that Brandon Flowers has for the songs, the experience, his bandmates and the crowd. And this is mirrored (sometimes quite literally) by the fans. You can almost feel the happiness radiating from the crowd, especially when Brandon and Dave go into the audience during Bling and A Dustland Fairytale. (I missed the ADF foray into the audience on the night, as I took that moment to desperately grab some water from the bar. I had refused to move before, despite being close to fainting. A guy at the bar was worried I would hyperventilate. Did I care? Anyway...)


The completely synchronised arm-waving during This Is Your Life demonstrates the control that Flowers has over his willing audience and was a great moment on the night. The fantastic atmosphere is almost tangible and I think that comes across even to non- fans. Everyone I have ever spoken to at a Killers gig, who wasn't a huge fan beforehand have always been impressed and converted.

Brandon rarely stops smiling throughout, and has all the charisma that you would expect from a world class frontman. Mark remains cool throughout his masterful bass playing, despite his hair getting progressively frizzier as the gig goes on. Hell, I have no room to talk... Dave is the perfect counterpart to Brandon, owning that guitar and loving every minute, although in a slightly more restrained way. And Ronnie...well Ronnie is just an animal!

I won't go through the whole setlist, but each song was brilliant. They have proved that Day and Age stands up amongst the other albums and has given us a set of new Killers classics. The confetti during ATTTID and the sparks in WYWY marked the spectacle that this concert definitely was. The only thing that disappoints, for me, is that the DVD can't capture the feeling of what it is like to actually be at a gig. That's something you need to find out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment